The Woodland Cemetery/Skogskyrkogården in Stockholm
The first section and the first chapel of the Woodland Cemetery were inaugurated in 1920. The young architects, Erik Gunnar Asplund and Sigurd Lewerentz, had been awarded the contract through an international competition in 1914-15. The architecture of the cemetery stems from the site itself and follows the nature of the surrounding landscape. The Woodland Cemetery has served as a model for cemeteries all over the world.
Skogskyrkogården was inscribed on the World Heritage List in 1994
The Justification of the World Heritage Committee
Skogskyrkogården, created by Gunnar Asplund and Sigurd Lewerentz between 1914 and 1940, is an outstanding example of how architecture and landscaping from our century combine to make a cemetery. This creation has had a great influence on the design of cemeteries all over the world.
Visitors guide in English, German, Spanish, Frensch, Italian and Japanese.
The Path of the Cross and the Meditation Grove. Photo: Bengt A. Lundberg, National Heritage Board, 1999
The Monument Hall in front of the Holy Cross Chapel.
Photo: Bengt A. Lundberg, National Heritage Board, 1996